Tuesday, July 28, 2026

FASHION FAUX PAS

As an experienced designer and pattern-maker with a keen eye, I sometimes see celebrities and the likes wearing badly fitted clothes.

Designers are often very eager to gift or loan out their dresses and outfits. because of the attention and free exposure they get from the media.

But these dresses and outfits are rarely Made-to-measure for the person, but usually just standard sizes, that designers tried to fit to the sizes of celebrities  - and it often shows.

Photograph by Horst P. Horst, Mainbocher corset, Paris 1939

So, for example, I often see corsets, where the cups are to small and strapless dresses that are either too tight or to loose around the bust. -Or the bust height is too short, which flattens and pushes down the bust and make it look less flattering.

Photograph by Irving Penn, Vogue, October 1994
 

Either the celebrities don't know, that a perfect fit is possible or they want to save money or they can't afford Made-to-measure. So, of course they have to compromise.

Another example I've noticed, is long slits in full skirts. There is really no need for that, unless you want to look cheap, showing of your legs. Slits usually have a practical function in pencil-skirts and long narrow skirts, so that you actually are able to walk.

Last, but not least, I also noticed full skirts, that are far too long in the front. They might look nice, when the wearer is standing still. But unless the wearer grab and lift up the skirt with both hands, they will not be able to walk, but possibly stumble. That is definitely impractical and makes no sense to me.

Do you agree or disagree? Let me know what you think in the comments below.  

I'm sure, there are even more Fashion Faux pas out there, but often it is just a matter of taste.  

Unfortunately, I didn't find nice photos of these three very obvious example. I hope my description of the Fashion Faux gave you an idea nevertheless.

 Until next time. 

No comments: